1. Please provide a brief description of yourself and your role as Assistant Branch Manager, at John Marshall Bank’s Alexandria, VA branch.
As Assistant Branch Manager, my job is to provide supportive leadership and aid in the overall operations and goals of John Marshall Bank’s Alexandria branch. I have had the pleasure of working at John Marshall Bank for nearly a decade, rounding out at seven years to date. I genuinely believe that great leaders don’t achieve high levels of success without a great team behind them. Supportive leadership involves building trust, inspiration, and helping colleagues overcome challenges.
2. What led you to the banking profession?
I love numbers and Math was my favorite subject in school. Being a teller seemed to be the next step after working in the cash office for the Commissary on Andrews Air Force Base. The relationships I have developed with my colleagues have kept me in the banking industry for almost 20 years.
3. Who is the most influential woman you know? How does she inspire you?
I would say the most influential woman for me is my mother, Sharon. She has tirelessly shown through words and actions that family comes first. I learned how to be of great service from the example she set in my childhood and continues to set to this day.
4. What advice do you have for women who want to grow/begin their careers in the finance and/or commercial banking industry?
I would suggest that women discover their personality strengths and find a position (and bank) that compliments them. The banking industry is fluid so being able to adapt and change is also important.
5. What’s one childhood lesson that you still practice to this day?
In general, I’ve remained true to practicing good manners to everyone I meet. I wholeheartedly believe that a polite smile and using phrases like “Please” and “Thank You” go a long way.
6. What are you most proud of in your career?
I am most proud of the reputation I have built among my colleagues, past and present. We may not always agree, but they know that they can count on me to be a loyal, enthusiastic, industrious member of the team.
7. You get to have dinner with one famous person. Who do you choose and what would you ask them?
I would choose to have dinner with Phylicia Rashad. Not only is she a great actress, but her femininity, grace, and poise are character traits I aspire to daily. If given the opportunity, I would ask her what specific steps she took to acquire and cultivate the vast amounts of wisdom she has amassed over her lifetime.